The county treasurer is the chief custodian of county finance and is charged with the safekeeping and investing of county funds. This includes the maintenance and reconciliation of all checking accounts under the care of the county treasurer and the disbursement of funds.
A county treasurer in Texas has the following duties:
- Receives and deposits all county revenues
- Acts as chief liaison between the county and depository banks
- Prepares the payroll
- Disburses funds upon the order of the Commissioners Court
- Records receipts and expenditures and reconciles bank statements
- May be designated as the county’s investment officer and required to submit regular reports on county finance to the members of the Commissioners Court