Resident Information

Did you just move to Texas from another state?  If you did, you need a Texas drivers license and Texas license plates for your vehicle.  However, before the state will issue you a drivers license, you have to have your vehicle registered and before your vehicle can be registered, it has to be inspected.

Save time by following this order:

  • Have your vehicle inspected - State inspections are available at service stations and repair shops all over Orange County.
  • Register your vehicle at the County Tax Office - you must have proof of Texas liability insurance for the vehicle you are registering with you at the time of registration.
  • Apply for your Texas Drivers license at the Department of Public Safety Office.

New residents must have their vehicles pass inspection before having it registered and titled.  After having it inspected, owners should take the following to their county tax office:

  • I. D.
  • Valid inspection report (VIR).
  • Valid Texas liability insurance.
  • The vehicle's odometer reading if it is less than 10 years old.
  • If vehicle is not financed; an original out-of-state title, proof of registration, or proof of sales tax payment.
  • If vehicle is financed; last registration from previous state, lien holder name and address, and date the lien began.
  • The following fees:
    • Registration fee (contact county tax office)
    • Title application fee of $33.00
    • New resident tax of $90.00
General Information
Tax Assessor-Collector
Karen Fisher
Phone Numbers
(409) 882-7971
Emergencies: Dial 911
123 S. 6th Street